Summer is finally here and once again it’s time to head up north and enjoy our PURE MICHIGAN! You’ve seen Jill’s adorable cottage, now it’s time to show you the Deimling’s summer home.
The story of our vintage camper project began approximately 3 years ago when I went to a local auction to pick up furniture for the store and came home with this beauty. Brian and I have always been campers but our version of camping usually includes 5th wheel campers, diesel trucks and toy haulers. Now that our children have grown, we’ve decided to downsize into something a little cozier. With a family camping trip rapidly approaching, we realized we better get busy transforming it into something that would function for the two of us and was more our style. This is part one of our vintage #camperproject transformation.
First things first, DEMO DAY! We gutted the entire thing to remove the old cabinets, benches and layers upon layers of various flooring.
Next, we lined the walls with beadboard that we could paint and distress.
After conducting a quick Instagram poll of what color the walls should be painted, we decided on Junk Gypsy™ Paint Dreamcatcher (white) for the curved walls and ceiling and Junk Gypsy™ Paint Wanderlust (turquoise) for the opposite walls. We painted everything and distressed it with a fine grit sandpaper.
Once the walls were done, we turned our attention to the floor. After shopping the selection at Home Depot we determined we needed a thicker floor (due to the uneven surface in the camper) and picked up a truck load of pallet wood. The price was right (free) but it did require a little more work to prep the boards.
The boards were full of nails that needed to be pulled, was uneven and different thicknesses. We pulled the nails, put them through the planer and then ran them through the jointer giving them a more finished look.
Once the floor was down, it was stained and finished with Junk Gypsy™ Clear Coat finish.
We also added a few other little details to the shell remodel. This adorable light fixture came from our local Habitat for Humanity store and the rope trim was a perfect solution for edging in the round contours of the camper.
Now that the shell is done. It’s time to add the bed, refrigerator and other decor to complete our camper project. Stay tuned for part two of #camperproject.
Thanks for stopping by,
Products used during part one of our vintage camper project include Junk Gypsy™ Paint Dreamcatcher, Wanderlust and Junk Gypsy™ Paint Clear Coat finish.