Painted Upholstery – An ‘OMG’ moment!
Have you ever had that moment where you’ve seen something that just stopped you in your tracks, and your mouth hung open? Yup, we just had one of those when we saw this gorgeous chair that one of our Florida retailers, Janet Moses of Blue Goose Studio just painted! And yes ma’am, we said ‘painted’, because you can totally paint an upholstered chair! I love that she put her artist hand to painted upholstery. Here’s how it was done.
Multi Colors for an Ombre Painted Upholstery Effect
Janet started out with four colors, two from our Bungalow 47 line and two colors from the Junk Gypsy Paint line that we manufacture. All of these colors are found in the Bungalow 47 line. From left to right in the photo above the colors are; Parlor Drapes (Bungalow 47), Summer Pond (Bungalow 47), Lava Lamp and Mint Enamelware. Here are Janet’s tips for painting your own ombre upholstered chair with Bungalow 47 Furniture Paint:
- Start with a chair that has somewhat smooth fabric. This barrel chair was beige linen and pretty clean.
- Keep the fabric pretty wet. Janet uses a spray bottle so she can add more moisture quickly as needed.
- Start at the top with the lightest color and work your way down.
- Keep your brush pretty wet as well, by dipping in water before you work the paint into the fabric.
- Keep it moving and work fast, blending the colors together, as you end one shade and flow into another.
- Definitely work on top of a drop cloth, because all that water will drip and create a bit of a mess!
The chair is so fabulous, that it even SOLD while she was painting it! Note that you can paint right over the metal studs, as Bungalow 47 Furniture Paint can be used on many surfaces such as wood, metal, glass, ceramic, stone, and obviously fabric! Woo-hoo! This is gorgeous!
Makes your creative juices get flowing, doesn’t it? Hmmmm, now what’s around here that we can paint? Stay tuned!
That is very enlightening and beautiful work of course Im not surprised that Janet would be the one doing the painting…
To die for.!!!! Wonderful results.