Last year I shared that we had sold our house and downsized now that all of the kids were gone and married. We purchased a house that was built in 1956 from the original owners and in need of a lot of love. The last 12 months have been spent doing a major renovation, more projects then I was in the mood for, and the continual shift to try to fit all of our stuff efficiently (and stylishly) in the house.
The past month I set my sights on finding the perfect storage cabinet for the dining room, which already has a hutch and sideboard that don’t offer much storage, so I needed something to house my milk glass collection. The search was on.
As luck would have it, Chantelle and I ended up at an estate sale. It was the second and last day (which offered a 50% discount) but it was raining and I wasn’t feeling hopeful. I had seen a primitive cabinet in the photos online that looked kind of the size range I was searching for, but you never know until you see it. When I walked into the garage, I can’t remember if I was first horrified or excited. This is what I found.
The cabinet was covered in dust and grime, with the drawer in a pile of pieces, but the size was perfect and when I opened it, the inside patina on the wood made my heart skip a beat. The estate sale guy yelled out, “Do you need a project?” I smiled weakly, not really, but YES. We loaded it in the van.
When I brought it home, I was pretty sure my hubby would freak out when he saw it. Let’s just say, his imagination isn’t as exercised as mine and this cabinet looked diseased, but he saw the Junk Gypsy™ Paint color I had chosen and he got all excited. All of the sudden, I had an assistant!
It also had the same shaker door style as the cabinets in our new kitchen so I figured it was meant to be.
First, I needed to knock down some of this texture, so I scraped and sanded it down.
Chantelle had painted this really cool cabinet the same color, and it had a lot of texture, so I was pretty sure I was going to love the outcome.
After sanding, I vacuumed it with the shop vac.
Next came the scrubbing and this piece really needed it. I used a little Dawn liquid soap to cut some of the grease.
Next, it needed some crown moulding. It was missing it’s original and it just needed that detail. I ended up painting the crown moulding with Junk Gypsy™ Paint Dirtroad Dreamer (dark brown) to give it the same base color as the rest of the piece.
I was finally ready to paint the body of the cabinet! Since it was so tall, I laid it across two sawhorses so I could paint it quickly. Using Junk Gypsy™ Paint Wild Blue Yonder, it only needed one coat! I ended up using less than a pint of paint on this huge piece.
I distressed it, using a wet distress technique. Since there was so much texture, the dampness of the rag really worked the paint in and around the texture that I wanted to highlight.
The cabinet was originally a closet, and I built a few shelves inside sized to what I needed to store. I decided to cover the shelves with wrapping paper for a little fun! The interior natural wood was so pretty and I didn’t want the newness of the pine shelves to stand out.
She now sits pretty in the corner of the casual dining area. Every morning when I walk in, the color just makes me smile. Using the Junk Gypsy™ Paint was so easy and made the project go quick. I had the cabinet done in a day and the next morning we brought it in and filled it up with 15 boxes of milk glass unpacked from the storage unit!
Now for the 47 other projects I have waiting to show you! Stay tuned. Be happy, Jill